FLIR System Inc is the global leader in the design and manufacture of Thermal Imaging Infrared cameras for both UAVs and ground based.
They have many heat vision cameras of various resolution, thermal frame rate, lens, FOV (Field Of View), colour scale and measurement accuracy.
FLIR Thermal Imaging Kits
FLIR first teamed up with DJI around 4 years ago to create drone-based Thermal Imaging Kits for aerial drone photography. Each of these kits include a DJI Inspire 1 a Zenmuse XT thermal heat vision camera, a Zenmuse X3 4K visible light camera and a variety of accessories bundled together in one package.
These various FLIR Thermal Imaging kits were created specifically for emergency services, drone building surveys, drone roof surveys and UAV Building Inspection, but could also be adapted for many other sectors.
FLIR Thermal Drones
Zenmuse XT2 DUO Thermal Sensor / Visual Camera
In March 2018, DJI introduced the latest innovation in thermal visual technology with the release of the Zenmuse XT2. This is a integrated thermal sensor along with a visual sensor. The XT2 uses the FLIR Tau 2 thermal core along with a DJI 4k visual camera mounted on DJI’s world class Zenmuse gimbal.
This latest thermal camera is housed in a weather resistant casing and has the following top features;
- Temp Alarm – instant notifications when object temperatures exceed pre-set parameters.
- Heat Track – automatically locks the XT2 onto the hottest object in view.
- FLIR MSX – quickly interpret data with details from the visual image overlaid on the thermal data stream.
- Temperature Check – Select and area on screen for real time temperature measurements.
- Quick Track – Select an object to lock the XT2 onto it.
- Isotherms – Focus on a particular temperature band.
- Adjustable Color Palette – adjust the colors applied to the thermal data to better interpret the data.
- PiP Options – optimize how you view the thermal and visual feeds (overlapping, side by side and more).
- DJI Pilot Application – Access to all the above settings
There is so much more to the Zenmuse XT2. You can read the full specification on the DJI Zenmuse XT2 here. Also here is a video introducing you to the Zenmuse Thermal Visual XT2 camera.
DJI Matrice Enterprise Dual Thermal And 4k Camera
In December, 2018, DJI announced the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual, which has a 4k camera for capturing visible light and a FLIR Lepton thermal sensor for capturing thermal data. Side by side cameras integrated onto the Mavic 2 Dual enterprise.
This may be a budget / entry level thermal imaging solution but the specification is still high.
Together these sensors allow pilots to perform flights at night, as well as being able to fly in complex daytime conditions such as fog and smoke.
Users can select from multiple intelligent display modes in the DJI Pilot flight control app to visualize data from the dual-sensor camera.
The Mavic 2 Enterprise quadcopter has all the same specifications as the Mavic 2 such as the transmission range, distance, max height, altitude, frequency, sensors, transmission, gimbal, cameras, obstacle sensing and much more.
Here are the specifications of the Mavic 2 Enterprise DUAL Thermal Camera
- Sensor – Uncooled VOx Microbolometer
- Lens – HFOV: 57°
- Aperture – f/1.1
- Resolution – 160×120
- Pixel Pitch – 12 μm
- Spectral Band – 8-14 μm
- Image Size – 640×480 (4:3); 640×360 (16:9)
- Still Photography Modes – Single shot
- Burst shooting – 3/5/7 frames
- Video Recording Modes – 640×360 @8.7 fps
- Accuracy – High Gain: Max ±5% (typical)
- Low Gain – Max ±10% (typical)
- Scene Range – High Gain: -10° to +140°C
- Scene Range – Low Gain: -10°to +400°C
- Photo – JPEG
- Video – MP4, MOV (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264)
Roy Horton is a Drone Photographer working for Drone Photography Services